This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with disabilities but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer our visitors.
We aim to provide the best possible access for our visitors. Most of the Gardens are wheelchair friendly and we have a limited number of mobility scooters and wheelchairs for hire for anyone with mobility problems.
You can find full details on how to find us by car or public transport here.
The postcode for Googlemaps is B15 3TR.
- The car park has 120 spaces, which are available on a first come, first served basis.
- The car park surface is Tarmac and can support pushchairs and wheelchairs but it can become slippery in icy weather.
- Car park charging is: £3 per car for non-members; free for blue badge holders and members.
- All visitors (including blue badge holders and members) must input their vehicle registration into the parking machine in reception on arrival.
- Disabled parking bays are located on first row of car park by the welcome sign and are clearly marked out in blue. Blue badge must be displayed.
- Three coach bays are clearly marked out on car park for coaches/mini buses.
- Bicycle racks are available.
Entry into the Gardens is via the car park on Westbourne Road. The main entrance is accessible from the car park and can be found on the left of the glass arched building (with the sign Gardens Entrance). There is a small decline on the ramped access for wheelchair, mobility scooter and pushchair users.
Entrance and Main Reception
- Outer entrance doors are side opening double doors that can be held open for access into the outer concourse.
- Inner entrance doors to Main Reception are double doors that open automatically
- Our Main Reception Foyer area has a tiled floor which is on ground level and good natural light.
- Admissions are made via the Main Reception Sales Desk which is clearly signed. A staff member will be on hand to welcome and to direct visitors as required.
- Entry is via the turnstile or the side opening gate immediately adjacent to Reception. The gate is opened using a membership card on the swipe card reader located on the right hand side of the gate. Alternatively, non-members are welcome to ask to use the gate which will be opened by the Receptionist.
- A disabled toilet is situated at the right hand end of the Main Reception as you enter.
Mobility Scooters and Wheelchair Hire
A limited number of mobility scooters and wheelchairs are available to hire for visitors. It is advisable to book in advance – call our reception team on 0121 454 1860 and select option 1.
- A small, refundable deposit applies.
- Collect scooters from the main reception desk.
- We provide instructions on use, if required.
- Please note: scooters must not be used in the Pavilion Tearoom or in the toilets. They must be parked safely outside.
- No scooters are allowed on lawned areas.
- Not all pathways are accessible by scooter or wheelchairs – ask for a free map for the best routes.
- Deposits are refunded when scooters/wheelchairs returned safely.
Around the Gardens
The Gardens have an extensive network of paths that are accessible and suitable for users of mobility scooters and wheelchairs. Many of these paths slope, so please ask for a map for the most accessible routes.
All four of our historic glasshouses are wheelchair and scooter accessible.
- All Glasshouses have tiled level or ramped ground floor access paths.
- The Tropical House is reached via the main reception foyer through automatically opening double sliding doors. It has a gentle slope and leads to the Subtropical House.
- Automatic double sliding doors open to the Subtropical House. This glasshouse has an upper decked walkway with steps and ramps, providing access to lower area and entrance to Garden Suite, Mediterranean House and Loudon Terrace.
- Enter the Mediterranean House using the entrance on the lower level at the foot of the ramp on the right hand side of the Subtropical House.
- The Barrel Arch area (from the entrance at the right hand side of the Mediterranean House) provides stepped access to the Loudon Terrace and level entrance to the Palm Lounge Bar through double side opening doors.
- The Arid House is reached via the Barrel Arch. This has a paved pathway that leads to the Terrace Suite through double side opening doors and there is ramped access to the Loudon Terrace through the side opening door at the west end of the Glasshouse.
- The majority of paths in the external areas are Tarmac.
- The Rock Garden and Rhododendron Path are served by gravel paths.
- The Woodland Walk, Growing Schools Garden, Butterfly House and playground are served by bark or grass paths.
- The Tearoom is accessed from the Loudon Terrace via a ramp to the Pavilion Terrace. This is situated adjacent to the Subtropical House entrance.
- The Tearoom has self-service food displays and a service counter accessible to all users.
- Scooters are not permitted in the Tearoom and should be parked safely.
- Toilets are available in the Tearoom but these are not adapted for use by wheelchair users.
- The Lawn Aviary is accessed from the path adjacent to the Sensory Garden, which provides level path access to the building or from the Rose Garden.
- The Lawn Aviary interior is accessed by side opening doors and has a level tiled floor.
- The Butterfly House (open May to September) is accessed via the Growing Schools Garden and has a gently sloping gravel path.
- The Butterfly House interior is accessed by side opening doors and there is a level, paved walkway.
- All three banqueting suites are wheelchair accessible.
- The Garden Suite is entered from the Subtropical House on decked and tiled pathways. A ramped path leading to side opening double doors provides access into the Suite from the west side of the glasshouse.
- The Terrace Suite is accessed via the Arid House by a slabbed pathway and side opening double doors. This suite has a slight raised balcony area with ramps to the dance floor, bar and toilets.
- The Loudon Suite is adjacent to the Pavilion Tearoom and there is a wheelchair/scooter accessible entrance.
Garden Gift Shop
- The shop is next to the main entrance – it is accessible and you can shop there without paying to go into the Gardens.
- Visitors to the Gardens can also access the shop on exit from the Gardens via the turnstile and gate within the pay zone in main reception.
- The shop has two levels: the upper level has a wheelchair-accessible tiled floor and tiled ramp to the lower level.
- The lower level leads to the plant sales area, which is also paved and level.
- Our education classrooms are on the first floor and are accessed via the spiral staircase at the north end of our Main Entrance foyer.
- There is no disabled access to rooms on the first floor.
- The Gallery doubles as a third classroom and is accessed via double side opening doors.
Toilet and Baby Changing Facilities
- Customer toilets are to the right hand side of the main reception area.
- Our wheelchair and scooter accessible toilet is on the ground floor.
- Baby change facilities are in the entrance to the accesible toilet in the main entrance foyer and in the ladies toilet on the Loudon Terrace.
- Additional toilets are outside at the western end of the Loudon Terrace. These are accessed by level paths. The ladies facilities have an accessible toilet with wall-mounted baby change.
- Toilets in our Pavilion Tearoom are level access but they are not wheelchair or scooter accessible.
- All toilet doors open inwards.
- All staff receive regular training in first aid and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Our fire alarm is a continuous ringing of a bell. A receptionist will make an announcement over the public address system if an evacuation is required. Should you require it, someone will assist you with evacuation from the Gardens or to a safe fire assembly point within our site.
If there is anything we can do to help with information before your visit, please call us on 0121 454 1860 (10am – 5pm) or email email@example.com.